A vital part of the NCS Programme is when the young people come back into their communities and complete 30 hours of volunteering.
Youth Social Action can be defined as: – Young people taking practical action in service of the others in order to create positive social change that is of benefit to the wider community as well as to the young person themselves.
During 2016 we delivered a total of 27 community projects and the 411 participants delivered a total of 12,330 volunteer hours
We have worked with many local community groups such as:-
- Riding For the Disabled – Hoyle Mill
- Metrodome Carers Garden
- Orchard Views Residential Care home
- Green Fingered Worsborough Wanderers
- Elm Court Sheltered Housing – Worsborough
- Oakhill Primary School Caretakers House Renovation () – Ardsley
- Phoenix Park Underpass (In association with Big Local) – Thurnscoe
- Deansgate Care home- Mapplewell
- Mencap – Priory Campus – Hoyland
- Yorkshire Wildlife Trust – Littleworth Park, Lundwood
- Owd Marthas Yard – Hoyland
- Darfield Museum – Darfield
- St Johns Primary School garden – Penistone
- Alberts Horse Sanctuary – Silkstone
CLEAN AND GREEN
- Numerous sites: – Darfield, Darton, Athersley, Birdwell, and Gawber.
“We are fully supportive and have worked on numerous projects in conjunction with NCS. It is a fantastic programme that allows the young people of the borough to come together in their communities to work on a meaningful project.”
Phil Hollingsworth. Head of Stronger Communities Directorate. Barnsley Council.
This Summer we will be working on 25 projects and need your help to identify any possible projects.
If you have anything in mind (For a group of up to 15 young people) please do not hesitate to get in touch with NCS Coordinator Jo Thornton on 01226 211333 or email [email protected]
If you are 16-17 years old it’s time to MAKE YOUR MARK!
This is where your NCS experience all comes together. All the fun and inspiration from the first two phases means you’re ready to step up and deliver your very own social action project. Plan; fundraise; make a difference!
You and your team have the power to change the world around you. Whether you’re a thinker or a doer, this is your chance to make a difference, have some amazing stories to tell, and be part of something you’ll never forget!