Shadow Scholarship | Barnsley FC 1-3 Carlisle United

The Barnsley FC Shadow Scholars finished as runners-up in the National Football Youth League Cup after a late turnaround from Carlisle United saw them complete a league and cup double at Sheffield Wednesday’s Hillsborough Stadium.

Having led and dominated for much of the game, two goals in three minutes swung the game in Carlisle’s favour before they sealed victory deep into stoppage time.

The Reds began on top with Mason Butcher getting the first effort on goal, his low shot being collected by the ‘keeper.

Jake Vigrass and Jack Tinker both saw powerful shots blocked as Barnsley continued to dominate the early stages.

Jack Bennett thought he should have had a penalty after appearing to be brought down by the Carlisle ‘keeper but the referee played advantage and the chance went amiss.

Bennett and the Reds were awarded a penalty 15 minutes later however after pulling on the striker in the box.

Butcher held his cool from the spot to hammer his penalty straight down the middle and give his side a deserved lead.

Sam Awty could’ve extended the lead just before the break after some fine interplay but his touch was too heavy from Harry Mayo’s pullback.

HT: 1-0 

Just as in the first half, Barnsley controlled the opening stages of the second period with Bennett seeing a shot blocked following a Tinker cross.

Having opened the scoring at one end, Butcher bravely threw himself in the way of a powerful drive to prevent an equaliser at the other.

Awty was inches away from doubling the lead with what would have been a fine goal, his left-footed volley cannoning off the crossbar.

Millard dragged a shot just wide of the post from the edge of the box after a break from Bennett and Mayo two minutes later.

Carlisle equalised against the run of play with just over 10 minutes remaining, their striking firing low into the bottom corner.

United were celebrating again almost instantly as a low free-kick into the box was directed past Jake Barton from inside the six-yard box.

Substitute Essa N’Dow began to cause problems and, after being brought down on the edge of the box, Tinker’s free-kick deflected onto the roof the net.

Tempers flared late on as Tinker and a Carlisle player both saw a red card following their reactions to a late tackle in the middle of the park.

A pinpoint cross from Vigrass nearly opened up Carlisle for a late equaliser but Awty, stretching to reach the ball, couldn’t direct his effort on target from a tight angle.

With the Reds desperately looking for a way back into the game, Carlisle countered at speed and fired into an empty net following a clearance off the line by Dom Claxton to seal their victory.

N’Dow was denied from inside the box as Barnsley kept pushing deep into injury time but Carlisle held on to become the NFYL Cup champions.

Barnsley XI: Jake Barton, Sam Awty, Sam Cook, Brandon Fearn, Dom Claxton, Jack Tinker, Regan Millard, Mason Butcher, Jake Vigrass, Jack Bennett, Harry Mayo.

Substitutes: Lewis French, Brandon Murillo, Will Heath, Essa N’Dow, Sandy Masuku.