Shadow Scholarship | Barnsley 1-4 Carlisle United

A strong second half performance saw Carlisle United Academy U19’s deny the Shadow Scholarship their first home win of the National Football Youth League campaign.

Jack Bennett’s composed finish had given Barnsley a deserved lead at the break however the visitors began the second period with a flurry before seeing out the game to take the three points back to Cumbria.

Brandon Fearn headed an early Jimmy Pursell corner at the ‘keeper before a loose ball was smashed against the post by Carlisle’s left winger at the other end.

The Reds opened the scoring with just over 10 minutes played as Bennett latched onto a ball over the top of the defence before chipping the ‘keeper for a deserved lead.

Mark Tinker’s side thought they should have had a golden chance to extend their advantage moments later after Aidan Hargreaves had appeared to have been brought down inside the penalty area but the referee waved away the claims.

The front five combination of Bennett, Hargreaves, Essa N’Dow, Jake Vigrass and Pursell continued to cause problems for the visiting defence without creating many clear cut chances.

Barnsley were forced into making their first substitution of the game midway through the half as Kye Cockburn limped off with a hamstring strain, Regan Millard coming on in his place.

Hargreaves went close to doubling the lead late in the half however he fired just over the bar after great work from Pursell and N’Dow.

HT: Barnsley 1-0 Carlisle 

Carlisle began the second half strongly and were soon level thanks to a powerful effort which found the bottom right corner of Lewis French’s goal.

Callum Spragg replaced N’Dow and almost made an instant impact, his looping header from Vigrass’ back post cross falling onto the crossbar.

Two quick-fire goals from the visitors saw them take control of the game as a cross was smashed into the back of the net before a corner sneaked in at the near post.

Barnsley began to dominate possession again as they looked for a way back into the game but the Carlisle defence dealt with everything the Reds were throwing at them.

With the home side pushing forward, Carlisle sealed the game with the striker tucking in the rebound after a good initial save from French.

Luke Jackson replaced Hargreaves and helped mount some pressure on the visiting defence late on but the Reds couldn’t add a second goal despite a spirited showing against a professional academy outfit.

Barnsley XI: Lewis French, Jack Tinker, Brandon Fearn, Kye Cockburn, Bailey Oates, Mason Butcher, Jimmy Pursell, Jake Vigrass, Aidan Hargreaves, Jack Bennett, Essa N’Dow.

Substitutions: Regan Millard, Callum Spragg, Luke Jackson.