The Foundation Degree in Community Football Coaching and Development has been specifically designed for learners at professional football club’s and their Trust’s education programmes.
Operating through the University of South Wales, the two-year course was written by the English Football League (EFL) Trust in order to develop the required skills and experiences to operate as a professional coach.
Alongside classroom-based learning, students will have the chance to gain coaching experience through Reds in the Community’s various initiatives at Oakwell and across the borough of Barnsley.
This course has been shortlisted for a Times Higher Education Leadership and Management Award 2018 in the ‘Outstanding Digital Innovation of the Year’ category.
- Football Event Management
- Academic Research and Professional Skills
- Introduction to Sports Development
- Introduction to Sports Science for Football
- Football Coaching: Theory to Practice
- Technical Planning and Reflective Practice in Football
- Football In Society
- Project Operations Management
- Youth Football Coaching
- PE and School Sport
- Sport Placement
- A Level – DD to include at least one A Level in Science, Mathematics, Physical Education or Psychology but to exclude General Studies. Level 1 in football coaching or equivalent foundation level football coaching qualification.
- BTEC – BTEC Diploma Merit Merit in a relevant subject. Level 1 in football coaching or equivalent foundation level football coaching qualification
Written reports, practical assessments, portfolios, presentations, posters/leaflets and various online assessments.
Successful candidates may progress to further education, such as an undergraduate degree, work or other vocational opportunities. Previous learners on education courses at Oakwell have progressed into employment with Reds and the Community and the Barnsley FC Academy.
Learners will have the opportunity to represent Reds in the Community in football matches against other football clubs or gain vital coaching work experience within other RITC activities delivered at Oakwell or across Barnsley. This route also offers a wide range of other work placements opportunities around Oakwell.